Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fantasy Q & A - Kadri a Keeper?

Question from Dale:

Hey guys,

I really liked what I saw from Nazm Kadri last night in the Leafs pre-season game, as well as Andrew Angelage a few nights earlier in a rookie game. Both have had successful OHL careers and might show something in the near future for the Leafs. I think Kadri looked very much like a young Russ Courtnall considering the speed and size comparisons.

What are your thoughts on Kadri? Who is he comparable to?

And what about Angelage? I could really see him shine in the near future given the Leafs goaltending struggles in the past few years. He reminds me of Sean Burke.

- Dale

JFH Response:

Hey Dale,

Thanks for the question.

I was a little surprised when the Leafs grabbed Kadri at 7th overall. While he is known as a fiesty, talented forward, I thought Burke was going to draft Jared Cowan and continue to "build from the net out." That said, I have been impressed with the pick ever since. Kadri has top-end skill, something we haven't seen a lot of in Toronto over the years. I think Russ Courtnall was one-dimensional, where I see Kadri being much more of a complete player. He reminds me a lot of Doug Gilmour/Pavel Datsyuk - an undersized, shifty forward that can always create something.

Offensively, only Tavares and Duchene have a higher ceiling coming out of the 2009 Draft then Nazem. He has looked great in two pre-season games but expect him to go back and lead the London Knights this year. He also should play a pivotal role on the Canadian Junior team this December. Grab Kadri if you are in keeper leagues as his value may skyrocket with a dominant season in the OHL.

As for Andrew Englegage, the former Windsor Spitfire goaltender has turned a few heads at Leafs camp. Invited to camp after backstopping the Spitfires to the Memorial Cup, Englegage has shown that he is more then the product of a great team. He has good size and poise. I think he will get himself a contract and start in the Central Hockey League. Keep an eye on him but he has no fantasy value at this point, keeper or not.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment